Code of Ethics
The Rules We Coach By
We have used our best efforts in preparing this Web site, what-is-coaching.com, and we adhere to the following Code of Ethics for our Coaching.
We abide by a form of coaching that honors you as the expert in your life and work and believes that you are creative, resourceful, and whole. Standing on this foundation, it is my responsibility to:
Definition of Coaching
Coaching is a client-centered process that is solution focused and results-oriented, facilitating the enhancement of your capacity to make your own choices and create your own style of life to achieve personal fulfillment."
In each meeting, you choose the focus of conversation, while the I listen and contribute observations and questions. This interaction creates clarity and moves you into action. Coaching accelerates your progress by providing greater focus and awareness of choice.
Coaching concentrates on where you are now and what you are willing to do to get where you want to be in the future.
As a coach:
1) I will conduct myself in a manner that reflects positively upon the coaching profession and I will refrain from engaging in conduct or making statements that may negatively impact the public's understanding or acceptance of coaching as a profession.
2) I will not knowingly make any public statements that are untrue or misleading, or make false claims in any written documents relating to the coaching profession.
3) I will respect different approaches to coaching. I will honor the efforts and contributions of others and not misrepresent them as my own.
4) I will be aware of any issues that may potentially lead to the misuse of my influence by recognizing the nature of coaching and the way in which it may affect the lives of others.
5) I will at all times strive to recognize personal issues that may impair, conflict or interfere with my coaching performance or my professional relationships. Whenever the facts and circumstances necessitate, I will promptly seek professional assistance and determine the action to be taken, including whether it is appropriate to suspend or terminate my coaching relationship(s).
6) I will conduct and report research with competence, honesty and within recognized scientific standards. My research will be carried out with the necessary approval or consent from those involved, and with an approach that will reasonably protect participants from any potential harm. All research efforts will be performed in a manner that complies with the laws of the country in which the research is conducted.
7) I will accurately create, maintain, store and dispose of any records of work done in relation to the practice of coaching in a way that promotes confidentiality and complies with any applicable laws.
8) I will be responsible for setting clear, appropriate, and culturally sensitive boundaries that govern any physical contact that I may have with my clients.
9) I will not become sexually involved with any of my clients.
10) I will construct clear agreements with my clients, and will honor all agreements made in the context of professional coaching relationships.
11) I will ensure that, prior to or at the initial session, my coaching client understands the nature of coaching, the bounds of confidentiality, financial arrangements and other terms of the coaching agreement.
12) I will accurately identify my qualifications, expertise and experience as a coach.
13) I will not intentionally mislead or make false claims about what my client will receive from the coaching process or from me as their coach.
14) I will not give my clients or prospective clients information or advice I know or believe to be misleading.
15) I will not knowingly exploit any aspect of the coach-client relationship for my personal, professional or monetary advantage or benefit.
16) I will respect the client's right to terminate coaching at any point during the process. I will be alert to indications that the client is no longer benefiting from our coaching relationship.
17) If I believe the client would be better served by another coach, or by another resource, I will encourage the client to make a change.
18) I will suggest that my clients seek the services of other professionals when deemed appropriate or necessary.
19) I will take all reasonable steps to notify the appropriate authorities in the event a client discloses an intention to endanger self or others.